Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Blogger vs. WordPress Poll

I've added a poll to my side bar to get some feel for what blog engines people use and prefer.

I have created a blog in both Blogger and in WordPress so I can play with them and see what they each have. I wrote a post on this when I first set them up. I've been finding out ways to do things that I want in each, but still like some features in one and some in the other. I'm really hesitant to judge WordPress until I get a chance to move my blog to my own website (which I hope to have soon) since I know that adds a lot of functionality. However, not everyone (or probably most people) have their own site and therefore, the blog engine of choice for them may not be WordPress.

I'm also curious which engine is best for directing people to your site for posts of interest. I'm trying to monitor it via blog stats in WordPress and Google Analytics in Blogger, but blog stats does not give as much information. I did add site meter to my WordPress blog. I found out how to add html code (only straight html code) to my blog via the text widget. It gives much more statistics.

In the process of doing two "separate but equal" blogs, I realize that I really need to settle on one or the other, and do it soon. For one thing, I have to duplicate each post if I want it on each site, and also, I really don't want someone to start reading one site and then have it go away (or quit updating) if I switch to the other. I figure I can put a post on the site directing people to my new site, but still, I don't feel right about it. Also, anyone thinking that I actually have two different blogs would be disappointed. I thought at first that I would put more practical information on my wordpress "All Things Web 2.0" blog and the posts (like this one) that talk about my discovery process and thoughts on this blog.

But then I realized that people might read something on one or the other of my blogs and be interested in what else I might have to say and would miss half of it by having it somewhere else. So I am mostly just posting the same things on each blog. I apologize if it annoys anyone.

Also, I am sure there are other blog engines out there that people use. I know Live Journal is one that I really haven't even looked at. If you use a different blog engine than Blogger or WordPress, could you please leave a comment letting me know what you use? And of course,
comments are always, always welcome. I'd be thrilled if you left a comment and would love to hear from you about things you have found, ideas to share and comments about my post, or me, or anything else you feel like saying.

Anyway, since you are here, please take time to vote!

~Susan Mellott

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I consider what you're doing to be interesting research.

I should remember to check back here when your poll is closed -- would love to see which platform wins.

Susan Casserley said...

Thanks! I am hoping to get enough votes to get a reasonable sample. And I wish if people choose 'Other', they leave a comment what other is!!!

Unknown said...

I personally use xowiki and OpenACS. I am looking at others to do some research and maybe spread out to other blogs.